Sunday, December 19, 2010

Board Game Cafe - Korea

This blog so far has featured or mentioned a couple different types of cafes. The first was while in Amsterdam. Cafe's there are places you can purchase alcohol. I also mentioned the coffee shops where it is legal to purchase cannabis. Another was the Dog Cafe in Seoul, Korea. I thought it would be nice to talk about board game cafe's which can also be found in Korea.

As the name suggests, this is a cafe where you can play board games. They have a wide selection of board games. You rent a board game and table, which is super cheap and then you have the option of purchasing snacks and refreshments while you play. It is a great opportunity to try out new board games, or even play old favourites. The first time I was there I played Settlers of Catan. It was a lot of fun. I have played it a few times since and still really enjoy it. I am disappointed there are none of these cafe's in Canada. I think they could be pretty successful.

I have also played monopoly at this place as well as a few others. One of the favourites seems to be Jenga. I think there have been people playing that every time I have went. They also have different things to make the games more interesting. For example, check out the video I took of what happens when someone loses in Jenga:


2 comments:

  1. You get beat to death if you lose at Jenga!?

    Board game cafe eh? I'm not sure how well that would do here, do people even play board games anymore? Er... Risk doesn't count.

    Everyone is so caught up in computers and technology, I think a computer cafe would be better. Though, could you drink your coffee near a keyboard? I think not! Get out of my cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. They have computer cafes too, or more commonly called internet cafes. A lot of online computer gaming done in these places, they are unlike the internet cafes I have seen in Toronto and Europe.

    ReplyDelete