Thursday, November 11, 2010

Birthday in Pisa

On my 21st birthday, I went with my Dad and brother in law to Detroit for a tigers game. The following year I spent a quiet day just hanging out at my sisters apartment, in London (Ontario, Canada). My 23rd birthday was spent in Korea and my 24th was spent in Australia. After the 24th it became apparent that I had spent every year to that point of my twenties in a different country. 25 was to be no different.

This was the first birthday I spent with no one around to wish me a happy birthday. My friend Kate was in the taxi with me when midnight struck, but I did not tell her it was my birthday. I woke up early and took the train to Pisa for a day trip. I always wanted to see the leaning tower of Pisa, so why not on my birthday?

When I arrived at the train station, I put my luggage in a locker and purchased a map. I was hoping I didn't need to take any public transit and it looked like the city was small enough that I could walk. I didn't have breakfast so I bought a gelato for the walk. It was once again a gorgeous day in Italy.

There was no mistaking the tower when I got to the area. It was pretty cool seeing it. It was basically how I remembered hearing about it. In my hostel in Rome I met a Mexican girl who had the chance to climb it. She was telling me how hard it was to stand at the top. I unfortunately didn't have a lot of time so never had the chance to climb it myself.

Instead I grabbed some lunch and sat on the lawn, enjoyed the sun and watched countless people taking pictures where it looked like they were either holding the tower up, or knocking it over.







This is a picture of some of the supports around the table that help keep it standing. It would be interesting to see how long the tower could last without the supports.

After my day in Pisa I caught a train to Florence in order to check into my final hostel. The hostel in Florence was decent. The city was very quiet and looked beautiful. I decided to have a nice dinner considering it was my birthday. After dinner I walked around a little bit and then headed back to the hostel. I wanted to wake up early to explore the city before I headed back to Paris to catch my plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment