Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Eiffel Tower

Early in the day on Sunday I visited a cathedral just outside a jewish area of Paris. I went inside but hesitated to look around as people were praying and I felt awkward being in there even though there were clearly other tourists who didn't mind. I then went and tried a falafel. It was pretty good.

In the afternoon I went to Montmatre, a hill in Paris where sights of the city can be seen and where sacred heart cathedral lies. It was a large tourist area and because it was Sunday it was quite busy. From there I walked passed a big red windmill...famously known as moulin rouge. After that I took the subway to the place I saw in the car ride through Paris my first day, the arc de triumph, which was located on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, the main street of Paris.

Obviously a trip to Paris is not complete without a visit to the Eiffel tower. My trip to the tower didn't get me all the way to the top, the line was too big, but it did get me pretty high up on the second level. From there I watched the sun set and then walked back down the stairs and had a picnic in the park beside.

On the hour, the tower would sparkle for several minutes, which was kind of neat to see.


Proof that I am there and not just finding pictures.

An overhead view of the park below the tower, taken from the tower itself (duh).

As the sun sets on Paris.

A blurry picture of Paris at night. This shot has the louvre on the far left. I only know because of the ferris wheel.

A look up at the tower when it started sparkling.

1 comment: