Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Arabian Gulf

As I mentioned in a prior post, I live only a 10 minute walk from the Arabian gulf. In fact, you can see it from the windows of other people in my building. A couple principles from the ACA family of schools live just down the road from us and the view from their balcony is phenomenal. This is it on the right. You can see Kuwait city in the center with the gulf on the right. I imagine it looks very pretty at night as well. The apartment on the floor below this one will host American Thanks Giving, so perhaps I will see it with the lights of the city at night.

I haven't gone swimming in the Arabian Gulf as of yet because I am unsure of the water. Mostly, I just want to enjoy it with someone and not by myself. I have walked along the shore lines with my feet in the water though. On the beach I have participated in a number of activities. One day I brought my baseball glove there and tossed the ball around with my neighbour. Another couple of days we tossed the Frisbee around. I've laid on the beach to tan as well. There also is a basketball court not too far from the beach that I have played on a few times.

Last weekend I had a larger experience of the Gulf. I walked from my apartment in Salmiya along the water to the Kuwait towers, in Kuwait city.








The weather has cooled down a bit. It was not nearly as hot so walking in midday was totally a bearable experience. I had my trusty water bottle with me still, but it was not needed nearly as much as the first month and change I had been here.


These are pictures of the city along the way. The walk was not a short walk. It took probably just over 2 hours to get there. I was asked why I didn't take a cab, but the whole point of going to the towers was to enjoy the weather and the scenery. I walked a long the beach pretty much the whole way there. It was a cool atmosphere, there were tons of people out and having BBQ's on the grass just up from the beach. The only bad thing was some of the food smelled so good and I didn't have any.

Once I got to the tower it was onward into the city to revisit the Old Souq, a market we went to on my birthday. I knew it was beside the other Kuwait tower, and used that as a land mark.

I got to the area in and around it. I knew it was close, but it took about 2 more hours of walking meaning I had spent over 4 hours of walking that day (actually more because I took an hour or so walk in the morning). By that time I was hungry and just wanted to get home and get some food into me.

Although I never found what I was looking for--the reason for the expedition--I still consider it a good relaxing trip. I love the weather right now because it is bearable. I even consider wearing a sweater to school for the early mornings without the hot sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment