Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Great Barrier Reef

During my time in Australia my parents came to visit me. While there, they treated me to a trip to Cairns. The main point of the trip was to see the Great Barrier Reef, one of the seven natural wonders of the world.


One thing I was looking forward to about the trip to the reef was to go snorkeling and to take some pictures with my camera. I had purchased it with the Great Barrier Reef in mind. We went to an Green Island, right near the reef and no too far of a boat ride from Cairns. We had the option of either snorkeling or going on a glass bottom boat and an underwater boat. My Dad didn't enjoy his previous snorkeling experience so we unfortunately opted for the boat rides and I never got the chance to use my camera underwater.

The boats very well could have worked out better anyways. It gave us plenty of opportunities to see different fish, they followed the boat around because the boat fed them and like humans, they can't turn down a free and easy meal! The underwater boat was pretty cool because we were right beside the fish as opposed to over top of them like we were on the glass bottom boat.

This fish here decided to stick to the boat with his suction and stay there to take a ride. These type of fish aren't the strongest type of fish so will latch onto bigger fish to get a free ride. This includes sharks.



No comments:

Post a Comment