Friday, October 15, 2010

Hiking Plans

I didn't have a lot of time on the mountain, I spent 2 nights in the mountain hostel. That gave me the afternoon and the next day to do some hiking and explore the mountain. The very first day I went to the valley I mentioned in my first post about the Alps. I also walked around the town a little.

I wanted to try the via ferrata, a mix between hiking and actually climbing the mountain. I was told it was awesome, and scary. I also read a book about mountain climbing and have kind of wanted to give it a try. The via ferrata would be the perfect first step. I never took the opportunity to do it however. The full day I had on the mountain was full of rain. It rained hard on and off the whole day.

I also wanted to hike to the peak of the mountain that day and was determined not to let the rain stop me. But unfortunately the rain did stop me. I walked with a couple layers of clothing for about 15 minutes and just got soaked. So I returned to the hostel dried up and chilled while I let the rain let up (or at least hoped it would). With the rain, came even more clouds then the day before, so I couldn't even really take any good pictures.

What I ended up doing was hiking to the slightly bigger town of Murren to see what that town had to offer. This was around lunch time and I wanted to find somewhere to eat as well as check out the sport complex they had there. I found a nice hotel restaurant and grabbed a meal there. After lunch I found the athletic complex and took a swim and soak in the hot tub. It was nice and relaxing despite not doing anything productive in taking advantage of being in the mountain. I just now have reason to return to that area.

I checked what the cost of taking the cable car to the peak Schilthorn, famous for being in a James Bond movie, 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service.' It was expensive to take the cable car to the peak, where there was no guarantee the view would be any good. In fact in all likelihood I would be in the midst of clouds.

Cloud Cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment